Low – Fat Pasta Salad
This low-fat pasta dish is delicious hot or cold. It is prepared with water-packed artichokes (as opposed to oil-packed), which are available in most supermarkets.
Makes about 8 1-cup servings
- 2 cups dry bow tie (farfalle) pasta
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 15-ounce can dark kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water, drain, and place in a large bowl. Soften tomatoes by soaking them in 1/2 cup boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and chop. Add to pasta along with remaining ingredients. Toss to mix.
Per 1-cup serving: Calories: 210; Fat: 1.3 g; Saturated Fat: 0.3 g; Calories from Fat: 5.7%; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Protein: 9.6 g; Carbohydrates: 40.9 g; Sugar: 4.7 g; Fiber: 6.2 g; Sodium: 532 mg; Calcium: 52 mg; Iron: 2.8 mg; Vitamin C: 22.2 mg; Beta Carotene: 345 mcg; Vitamin E: 0.5 mg
Source: Turn Off the Fat Genes by Neal D. Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jennifer Raymond M.S., R.D.