SHOCKING: HER SON WAS POISONED BY THIS PLANT, IT’S EXTREMELY IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO KNOW!
Plants are beneficial to be kept in our houses as they purify the air, decorate the space, bring positive energy, etc. But, people need to be very careful due to some plants can be very dangerous and full of toxins. One such is Dieffenbachia, more common by the name Dumb Cane.
This plant has a bad reputation and is believed to kill children, murder the foul, and burn down your house.
This five-year-old boy named Esteban was playing around the house when he unexpectedly started feeling severe pain in his stomach. The parents thought it to be a regular stomach pain which has been caused by the sweets Esteban consumed.
After a while, the pain started becoming stronger and stronger, thus the parents took the boy to the hospital. The doctors examined them and discovered that the boy suffered a heavy poisoning. The treatment started instantly and lasted for more than 3 hours, but the boy suffered an attack of anaphylactic shock.
This is a serious and life-threatening allergic reaction that requires an immediate trip to the emergency department and an injection of epinephrine. Death or unconsciousness can follow in case of late treating of anaphylaxis.
There is calcium oxalate crystals in the cells of the plant and they are named raphides. Some experts say that the toxicity is a result of its content in proteolytic enzymes which propitiate the histamine production.
If you chew a leaf of this plant, the crystals cause temporary feeling of burning and erythema. The case of edema of tissues exposed to Dieffenbachia is rarely reported. There re mild symptoms caused by mastication and ingestion.
If pets or children come in contact with dieffenbachia the plant can cause a host of unpleasant symptoms like intense numbing, oral irritation, excessive drooling, and localized swelling.
In most of the cases, there are mild symptoms which can be treated successfully with antihistamines, medical charcoal, or analgesics. There are rare cases of gastric evacuation or lavage. 70% of those who become exposed to toxic plants are children younger than 5 years.
If you have found this article helpful, feel free to share it.